Arrival and departure times
Please find information about transport to Erraid here.
Arrival times on Saturday are between 2 pm and 5 pm, except for people who come with the Findhorn bus, who will arrive around noon. Winter time arrivals are before 4 pm, as it gets dark sooner.
Departure on Saturday is between 8.30 am and 11 am.
If you are coming to visit in the wintertime, please make sure that you will be in Fionnphort or at the log pile around 2 pm as we can’t boat you over in the dark. In the wintertime it might be possible that it is too windy to go out in the boat, so there is always a possibility that you might have to walk over to Erraid. In that case one of us will come and pick you up in Fionnphort and take you to a farm on Mull from where we can walk onto Erraid. Most of the time that is possible as Erraid is a tidal island. So you will be walking through fields and over the beach. In that case we will bring wellies for you. If you come and visit us in the winter it’s good to bring a rucksack instead of a suitcase, just in case… Especially in the wintertime you might not be able to make the journey to Erraid in one day. That means that you might have to spend the night before your arrival and the night after you left Erraid on the mainland.
You will live in shared accommodation. Most of the old lighthouse keepers’ cottages we live in are the home to one of our community residents. Each house has two side rooms for guests. Each of the side rooms has two beds and the two rooms are connected through a door. Most of the time you will be able to have one of the side rooms to yourself, but if we are fully booked you might share your room. If you are a retreat guest you will always have a room to yourself. Bed linen and towels are provided.
You can help yourself to breakfast in your cottage. We offer communal lunches at 12.30 in our dining room on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Communal dinners are at 18.00 on Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Most of our meals are vegetarian. When we serve meat there will always be a vegetarian option available. There are no communal meals on Sunday and Wednesday. There will be food provided to cook your own meals or you are welcome to help yourself to left-overs from previous meals.
We have wonderful outside composting toilets with beautiful views. In 2017 the owners of the island have installed indoor toilets. However in periods of draught then we would use the composting toilets which are out the back of the houses, in order to conserve water.
Things to bring
– If possible bring a backpack instead of a suitcase (especially in wintertime)
– Indoor shoes or slippers
– Warm clothes
– Wellington boots (you can borrow some of ours if you don’t want to carry yours)
– Waterproof jackets and trousers (you can also borrow some of ours)
– You don’t need to bring sheets, towels or sleeping bag
– Cash if you would like to purchase candles or snacks from our shop
Things to do before your stay
– Please fill in the booking form before your arrival informing us of any food allergies, animal allergies and medical needs. We also appreciate a short introduction of yourself.
– Please pay the £100 non-refundable deposit by providing your credit card details or making a transfer to our bank account. The deposit confirms your booking.